..................Welcome to the Little Cottage down the Hill...

9/9/08

Handle with care..


A dangerously hallucinogenic fungus which can be fatal; it should never be eaten or tasted and hands must be washed after handling. They are usually large, favouring birch and pines and sandy soils.
- vocatur fungus muscarum, eo quod in lacte pulverizatus interficit muscas ("It is called the mushroom of flies, because crushed in milk it kills flies")
Similar to its English common name, the German Fliegenpilz, Dutch Vliegenzwam!
With its bright red, sometimes dinner plate-sized caps, Amanita muscaria is one of the most striking of all mushrooms.

2 comments:

Barbara Jacksier said...

Hi I just discovered your blog and can't wait to explore the back posts. Thanks for the mushroom warning. We have dozens of fall mushrooms growing in our woods and I'm always wary.

Webradio said...

Hello !

Jolis champignons...

Mais peut-on les manger ???

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin